Aviation Technology Directory
Chien-tsung Lu , Ph.D.
University of Nebraska, PhD. (Aviation Administration concentration)
Lu, C-t., Schreckengast, S., & Jia, J. (2011). Safety risk management, assurance, and promotion: hazard control system for budget-constrained airports. Journal of Aviation Technology and Engineering, 1(1), 1-15.
Lu, C-t., Young, J., & Schreckengast, S., (2011). Safety culture: The Perception of Taiwan’s Aviation Leaders. International Journal of Applied Aviation Studies, 11(1), 27-46.
Lu, C-t, Schreckengast, S., Ropp, T., & Dillman, B. (2011). System Safety: Pedagogical Aviation Action Research. Journal of Aviation/Aerospace Education and Research, 20(3), 17-28.
Wang, S., Liu, S. Y., & Lu, C-t. (2012). Perception of Safety Culture: Surveying the Crewmembers of the Aviation Divisions of the Ministry of Defense, Taiwan. Submitted to JATE.
Leib, S., Lu, C-t, Spence, T. (2012). Surveying Chinese aviation safety culture: Using Tianjin International Airport as a case. Submitted to IJAAS.
Prof. Lu has started his research focus on aviation safety, airport security, and policymaking since the year of 2000. His research areas are as the following:
Proposing a model of measuring airline safety performanceAdvocating the implementation of an airline safety information systemDiscovering the non-flight/ground operation hazardsConstructing a comprehensive aviation system safety management modelUsing system safety techniques for aviation risk assessmentDiscovering the correlation between Crew Resource Management (CRM) and hazardous behaviorsAir transportation policymaking process using Policy Research Construct (PRC)Discovering the regulatory rationale of the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)Surveying aviation distance education potentialsApplying pedagogical paradigms on aviation studentsBenchmarking airline service performanceDiscovering General Airport (GA) Security vulnerabilityAdvocating airport security management using SMS concepts
[ ~ 2010]
1. Cason, B., C-t, Lu, & Schreckengast, S. (June 10, 2010). Are we secure? Discovering GA airport security vulnerability. Journal of Transportation Security, 3(2), 87-104.
2. Wetmore, M., Lu, C-t., & Bos, P. (2008). Modeling the balance between standardization and innovation in a flight school, Journal of Aviation/Aerospace Education and Research. 17(3), 39-54.
14. Bowen, B., & Lu, C-t. (Oct. 2000). Advocating the implementation of an airline safety information system. Public Works Management & Policy, 5(2), 91-96.
Refereed Conference Proceedings
1. Lu, C-t. & Schreckengast, S (2011). Developing a low-cost safety management system for low-revenue airports. Conference proceeding of 2011 Crisis Management Society Conference, Taiwan. Nov. 10-11, 2011.2. Lu, C-t., & Sun, R. (May 28, 2010). The Impact of International Aviation Policy to the Chinese Airline Industry [Chinese version]. Seminar for Chinese Scholars of Public Administration, May 28 – 29, 2010, Guangzhou, China. 3. Lu, C-t., & Sherman, M. (October, 2009). Safety Management System (SMS) –A Computer Prototype for the U.S. Airports Industry, ASEE Mid-Atlantic Conference, October 23-24, 2009. Conference proceedings [CD-ROM]. King of Prussia, PA. 4. Hutson, J., Asfoor, M., Rankin, W., & Lu, C-t. (April 16, 2008). Outcome based education: A case study of UCM. 8th Oklahoma Aviation Education Symposium [CD-ROM]. 5. Asfoor, M., Toto, E., Hightower, J., & Lu, C-t. (April 16, 2008). Validating research of an aviation safety management system. 8th Oklahoma Aviation Education Symposium [CD-ROM]. 6. Lu, C-t., & Wang, Y-c. (Nov. 16, 2007). Promoting a comprehensive aviation safety management model (ASMM). Conference proceeding, 49th ROC Air and Space Conference. Taiwan. 7. Lu, C-t. (April, 2007). The need for system safety in aviation education and industry. Paper presented at 7th Oklahoma Aviation Education Symposium. April 18-19, 2007. 8. Abou, S.C., C-t. Lu, & Saad, M. (June 21, 2007). Advanced diagnostic/prognostic system: System health monitoring. 2007 Air Transportation Research Society (ATRS) World Conference, Berkeley, CA., June 21-23, 2007. 9. Lu, C-t. (Oct. 2006). Systems Safety for Safety Systems. Conference proceedings of The 4th International Conference on Crisis Management, Oct., 20, 2006, Gangshang, Air Force Academy, Taiwan. 10. Lu, C-t. (November 25, 2005). Interviewing the FAA Aviation Rulemaking Advisory Committee (ARAC): A case of MRM training [CD-Rom]. Conference proceedings of The 3rd International Conference on Crisis Management, November 25, 2005, Hsin-ju, Taiwan. 11. Lu, C-t., Wetmore, M., & Smith, J. (March 6, 2005). Advocating system safety in preventing airline accidents, Conference proceedings [CD-Rom], 46th Annual Transportation Research & Policy Forum, Washington, D.C., March 6-9, 2005. 12. Lu, C-t. (Oct. 17, 2004). The future challenge to the U.S. airline operation: An inductive study about the NTSB reports. Conference proceeding of the 2nd International Crisis Management Society Conference [CD-ROM] Taiwan, Oct. 17, 2004, Tainan, Taiwan, R.O.C. 13. Bowen, B.D., Headley, D., & Lu, C-t. (July 4, 2004). Developing a standardized mechanism for measuring airline service performance: A preparation for airlines and government references (the review of 2000-2003 AQR reports). 2004 WCTR Conference, Istanbul, Turkey, July 4-6, 2004. 14. Lu, C-t. (July 1, 2004). Aviation rulemaking dynamics in the United Stated: An inductive research of nonregulatory maintenance resource management (MRM) training. 2004 10th ATRS Conference, Istanbul, Turkey, July 1-3, 2004. 15. Lu, C-t., & Bowen, B. D. (May 23, 2004). Refining the federal agency rulemaking process in the United States: The federal aviation administration security case. Conference proceeding of the 2nd Sino-US Conference on Public Administration. Beijing, China, May 23-24, 2004. 16. Lu, C-t. (April 21, 2004). An Assessment of Intensive/Weekend teaching format of aviation education: A study of aviation law class. Conference proceeding of the 4th Annual Oklahoma Aviation Education Symposium. Stillwater, O.K. April 21-22, 2004. 17. Bowen. B.,& Lu, C-t. (March 9, 2004). Reporting airline safety performance and finding the sensitivity of airline safety factors. Conference proceeding of Safety Across High-Consequence Industries Conference [CD-ROM]. St. Louis University, Missouri, March 9-10, 2004. 18. Bowen, B.D., & Lu, C-t. (March 2003). Policy research construct. Paper presented at The 3rd Annual Aviation Education Symposium. Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK. 19. Bowen, B.D., Headley, D., & Lu, C-t. (July 2003). Measuring Airline Productivity in the post 9-11 Operational Environment. Paper submitted to 7th Air Transportation Research Society, Toulouse, France. 20. Bowen, B.D., C-t, Lu, & Tarry, S. (2001, July). A model to assess and report airline operational safety for consumer discretion and government intervention – general conclusions. Proceeding of the 9th World Conference of Transport Research (WCTR) [CD-ROM], Seoul, S. Korea. 21. Bowen, B.D., C-t, Lu, & Tarry, S. (2001, July). Benchmarking aviation safety in the commercial airline industry. Proceeding of the Air Transport Research Group (ATRG) [CD-ROM], Je-ju Island, S. Korea. 22. Bowen, B.D., & Lu, C-t. (2001 April). The analytical hierarchy method for benchmarking airline safety. Paper presented at the meeting of the Nebraska Academy of Science, Lincoln, NE.23. Bowen, B.D., Lu, C-t. & Terry, S. (2001 April). Measuring the safety performance of 10 major air carriers in the United States: The airline safety report (from 1996 – 2000). White Paper. University of Nebraska at Omaha.
Relevant Publications and Presentations
Lu, C-t., Schreckengast, S., & Young, J. (2011). AT SMS Manual.
Bowen, B. D., Bowen, E. E., Carney, T. Q., Kirschner, J. E., Lu, C. T., Mott, J. H., Suckow, M. W., Wildt, C. T. (2012, November). White paper: Advanced aviation analytics institute for research: A center of research excellence (A3IR-CORE). Prepared for the Office of the Vice President for Research, Purdue University. 6 pps.
1. Lu, C-t. (2008). Aviation Security Management Model, Aviation Security Management (A. R. Thomas, eds.). University of Akron.
Department of Aviation Technology
1401 Aviation Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2015
Voice: (765) 494-5782
Fax: (765) 494-2305