ECET Variance Policies and Procedures
- Plans of study are not open for interpretation.
- Any deviation from curriculum requirements must be approved in writing by the academic quality committee.
- Requests for variances must be submitted before the student takes the course, unless the course was taken previous to the student being in the major.
- Courses from institutions outside of Purdue University should first be evaluated by the office of Credit Evaluation in the Department of Admissions by completing a CTR Form 5 (available from the admissions office). It is important that students check credit transfer of courses before enrolling for courses at other institutions. If credits are designated as undistributed, a variance request must be submitted.
- Courses are not automatically waived because a more advanced course is completed. For example if calculus is completed, then algebra and trigonometry are not automatically waived.
- The Academic Quality Committee will meet three times only during each semester - specifically during the 5th, 12th and Finals weeks. Requests for variance must conform to these policies and procedures in order to be eligible for review.
- No variance requests will be considered during the summer months.
- Courses approved for credit by the ECET Academic Quality Team will be submitted to the Curriculum Committee for consideration for adoption to the official list of elective/selective courses.
- Check that the student has not already enrolled in the course since all applications need to be completed and approved before a student takes the course in question, unless the course was taken prior to the student being admitted to the ECET program
- If the course is to be taken at a different institution submit a CTR Form 5 to the
- Department of Admissions before submitting an ECET variance request for any courses designated undistributed
- Make a request for a variance by submitting the appropriate variance form to the ECET head academic advisor, West Lafayette campus no later than the Friday of the week prior to the committee's meeting during the 5 th , 12 th and Finals week of each semester.
- The form must state the request and include documentation supporting the request which must include a full description of the content in the course being requested as a substitution.