Anthony H Smith
Campus: West Lafayette
Department: Computer and Information Technology
Office: Knoy 213
Anthony H. Smith is an assistant professor with the Computer and Information Technology Department at Purdue University. He has more than 15 years of experience in various technical roles, as well as 10 years experience with computer technologies including LAN, WAN and wireless network design and implementation. After graduating from Wittenberg University, Anthony spent several years in general management positions. He served in the U.S. Coast Guard for 5 years in a number of technical, management, and law enforcement roles. He left the Coast Guard to pursue a Masters in Technology at Purdue, which he received in 1994. Since then, Anthony’s industrial experience includes both large corporate and small business environments serving in management and systems engineering roles. He has designed and consulted on numerous corporate and municipal networks, and has extensive application development and project management experience. Professor Smith currently teaches and conducts applied research in the areas of local and wide-area wireless network design, implementation and security. In addition, he has an active consultancy dedicated to local and wide area wireless networks, currently focused on wide-area wire-line replacement strategies.
- MS (Technology), Purdue University West Lafayette, IN, 1994.
- BS (Business Administration), Wittenberg University Springfield, OH, 1984.
- CIT 346 -- Introduction to Wireless Networks
- CIT 456 -- Wireless Network Security and Management
- CIT 446 -- Wide Area Wireless Networks
- CPT 443 -- Enterprise Network Management
- TECH 581 -- Topics in Wireless Networking
Honors and Awards
- 2010-2011 - Outstanding Tenured Faculty CIT Department
- 2009-2010 - Oustanding Undergraduate Teaching CIT Department
- 2008 - Seed for Success Award
- 2006 - Faculty Convocation Poster Session Winner
Textbooks and Editorships of Journals/Proceedings
- Smith, A.H., & Hansen, R.A., A model for wireless networking curriculum for network engineering. (2009) L. Tomei. Information Communication Technologies for Enhanced Education and Learning. IGI Global.
- Smith, A.H., & Hansen, R. A., Wireless Wide Area Networks. (2007) H. Bidgoli. Handbook of Computer Networks John Wiley & Sons.
Refereed Articles and Conference Papers/Presentations/Abstracts
- Matson*, E.T., & Smith, A.H. (2010). Modeling sensor capabilities in agent-based robotic organizations. 8th International Conference on Practical Applications of Agents and Multi-Agent Systems (PAAMS 2010)
- Eric T. Matson, Cory Q. Nguyen, Benny Leong, Anthony Smith (2010). Integration of Agent Organization and Autonomous Robots to Enable Self-organizing Broadband Networks. International Conference on Control, Automation an Systems 2010 (ICCAS 2010), Gyeonggi-do, South Korea, October 27-30 2010.
- Cory Q. Nguyen, Benny Leong, Eric T. Matson, Anthony Smith, Juan P. Wachs (2010). AWARE:Autonomous Wireless Agent Robotic Exchange. International Conference on Intelligent Robotics and Applications (ICIRA 2010), Shanghai, China, November 10-12, 2010.
- Dark, M., Goldman, J., Hacker, T., Marshall, B., & Smith, A. (2009). Dark web patterns. Web Science Conference 2009
- Rawles*, P., Hansen, R., Sprankle, J., & Smith, A. (2009). Revising a network engineering curriculum to reflect current industry and student trends. ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition
- Smith*, A., Hansen, R., Rawles, P., & Falls*, C. (2009). Wireless local area network controller-based and autonomous access point performance considerations.
- Smith*, A.H., Hansen*, R.A., & Mariga, J.R. (2009). Comparative Analysis of 802.11 networks using variant channel allocations. 2010 American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) Annual Conference and Exposition
- McDonald*, R., & Smith*, A. (2009). Impact of wired vs. wireless distribution systems on 802.11-based real time location system timing. World Congress on Computer Science and Information Engineering (CSIE 2009)
- Smith*, A.H., Hansen*, R.A., & Mariga, J.R. (2009). An updated wireless network curriculum based on current industry trends.. International Journal of Information and Communication Technology Education
- See, N. E., Smith, A.H., Hansen, R.A., & Rawles., P.T. (2009). An analysis of evil twin attacks.. ACM Transactions on Information and System Security (TISSEC)
- Geethakumar*, S., Smith, A.H., & Rawles, P.T. (2009). Geethakumar*, S., Smith, A.H., & Rawles, P.T. Wireless security: EAP protocol flaws facilitating dictionary attacks.. International Journal of Information Security and Privacy.
- Eric T. Matson, Anthony Smith and J. Eric Deitz (2009). Application of Adaptive Wireless Sensor Organizations to Secure Spatial Domains. Proceedings of the 2009 IEEE International Conference on Technologies for Homeland Security (IEEE HST 2009), Waltham, MA, May 11 - 12, 2009.
- Anthony Smith and Eric T. Matson (2009). Use of Antennas as Sensors to Discover Signals to Form Mobile Broadband Networks. Proceeding of the 2009 IEEE Sensors Conference, Christchurch, New Zealand, October 25-28, 2009.
- 1998-2001 - NetLink Technologies
- 1996-1998 - Lennox International, Armstrong Air
- 1994-1996 - Lennox International, Armstrong Air
- 1986-1992 - United States Coast Guard
Various Management and Technical Positions
- Principal, AHSmith Consulting, 2005-2012
Wireless security, penetration testing, and network design.
- Wireless and Mobile Computing, Lennox International, 2005
Troubleshoot wireless and mobile system problems
- Lead Consultant, Healthcare Systems of North Carolina, 2002-2004
Assist with mobile and wireless computing system design
- Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer
- Automated Antenna Systems - Serve as CTO of Broadband Antenna Tracking Systems (BATS)
- Broadband Wireless Access - Cut the Wires!
Hobbies, Outside Interests, and Personal Links