John A Springer Ph.D.
Campus: West Lafayette
Department: Computer and Information Technology
Office: KNOY 229
Knoy Hall of Technology, Room 229
401 N. Grant Street
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2021
John Springer is an Associate Professor in Computer and Information Technology (CIT) at Purdue University and the Lead Scientist for High Performance Data Management Systems at the Bindley Bioscience Center in Purdue’s Discovery Park. Additionally, he is an Adjunct Associate Professor of Surgery in the Indiana University School of Medicine. Dr. Springer's discovery efforts focus on High Performance Computing (HPC) applications as well as Cloud-based, large-scale data repositories/environments in Translational Biomedicine and Energy and include research in Human Factors and Information Assurance/Security in large-scale virtual scientific communities and data repositories.
Adjunct Associate Professor of Surgery
Indiana University School of Medicine
Lead Scientist for High Performance Data Management Systems
Bindley Bioscience Center in Discovery Park
1203 W. State Street
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2057
Chair of Data Management Curricular Subcommittee
Purdue University Bioinformatics Core Faculty Advisory Committee
- PhD (Computer Science), Indiana University Bloomington, IN, 2007.
- MS (Computer Science), Indiana University Bloomington, IN, 2002.
- BS (Mathematics/Systems Analysis), Taylor University Upland, IN, 1995.
- CNIT 37200 -- Database Programming
- CNIT 48700 -- Database Administration
- CNIT 48800 -- Data Warehousing
- CNIT 55900 -- Data Warehousing (Graduate)
Honors and Awards
- 2012 - Outstanding Faculty in Discovery Award in Department of Computer and Information Technology
- 2011 - Purdue University Seed for Success Award
- 2011 - Outstanding Non-Tenured Faculty Award in Department of Computer and Information Technology
- 2010 - Purdue University Seed for Success Award
- 2009 - Outstanding Non-Tenured Faculty Award in Department of Computer and Information Technology
Grant Proposals and Projects
- PI (2010-2012) Virtual Bio Bank Web Application Project
Sponsor: Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation
- PI (2010-2011) Implementing ontology-based information sharing in Product Lifecycle Management
Sponsor: Purdue University Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) Center of Excellence (COE) grant
- Co-PI (2008-2011) Analytical Proteomics Team (APT)
Sponsor: National Cancer Institute (NCI) Clinical Proteomic Technology Assessment for Cancer (CPTAC) program
- Co-PI (2008) PGRx: An Interactive Software System for Integrating Clinical Genotyping with Prescription Drug Safety Assurance
Sponsor: Microsoft Research Computational Challenges of Genome Wide Association Studies (GWAS) program
- Co-PI (2008) Innovations Link
Sponsor: U.S. Department of Labor’s Workforce Innovation in Regional Economic Development (WIRED) Initiative
- Co-PI (2008) Ergon - Enhancing Knowledge Extraction from Data through File Systems Evolution
Sponsor: College of Technology Seed Grant
- Senior Personnel (2007, 2010) Midwest Coalition for Comprehensive Design Education
Sponsor: National Science Foundation Advanced Technological Education (ATE) program
- Senior Personnel (2007) Curriculum Modules in Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) for Engineering and Technology Students and Industrial Practitioners
Sponsor: Society of Manufacturing Engineers
- Co-PI (2006) Rest Assured, LLC
Textbooks and Editorships of Journals/Proceedings
- Springer, J.A., Beever, J., Morar, N., Sprague, J.E. and Kane, M.D., Ethics, privacy, and the future of genetic information in healthcare information assurance and security. (2011) In Dark, M (Ed.). Information Assurance and Security Ethics in Complex Systems: Interdisciplinary Perspectives Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
Refereed Articles and Conference Papers/Presentations/Abstracts
- Chaparala, R.T., Hartman, N.W., & Springer, J. (June 2012). Examining CAD interoperability through the use of ontologies. CAD'12 (Niagara Falls, Canada, June 11-14, 2012.)
- Clare, S., Storniolo, A.M., Erdei, R., Juhn, E., & Springer, J. (2012). Toward a Virtual Tissue Bank. Biopreservation and Biobanking. (In review.)
- Springer, J.A., Iannotti, N.V., Sprague, J.E., & Kane, M.D. (2012). Construction of a drug safety assurance information system based on clinical genotyping. ISRN Bioinformatics. (Article ID 982737.)
- Springer, J., Zhang, F., Hussey, P., Buck, C., Regnier, F., & Chen, J. (2012). Towards a metadata model for mass-spectrometry based clinical proteomics. Current Bioinformatics. (In press.)
- Patchigolla, V.N., Springer, J., & Lutes, K. (April 2011). Embedded Database Management Performance. 8th International Conference on Information Technology: New Generation (ITNG 2011).
- Kumar, M., Hacker, T., Springer, J., & Marshall, B. (July 2011). Kernel level support for workflow patterns. IEEE 2011 Fifth International Workshop on Scientific Workflows (SWF 2011).
- Hacker, T., & Springer, J. (November 2011). Turning the Tide of the Data Deluge. HPCDB 2011: First Workshop on High-Performance Computing meets Databases. (co-located with Supercomputing 2011, Seattle WA.)
- Pandey, S., Kane, M., & Springer, J. (November 2011). GLASS: Genomic Literature Area Sequence Search. IEEE BIBM 2011 Workshop on Biomedical and Health Informatics.
- Springer, J.A., Iannotti, N.V., Kane, M.D., Haynes, K., & Sprague, J.E. (2011). Teaching drug safety and pharmacogenomics: a practicum learning environment enabled by a dedicated personalized medicine instructional software system. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education, 75(2), Article 32.
- Shirke, K., Springer, J. A., Gough, E. S., Roumani, A., Riley, C. P., & Buck, C. (2010). A case study in clinical data management for cancer proteomics. In I. Rahal & R. Zalila-Wenkstern (Eds.), The Proceedings of the ISCA 19th International Conference on Software Engineering and Data Engineering (SEDE-2010) (pp.301-306). Cary, NC: The International Society for Computers and Their Applications (ISCA).
- Marshall, B., Springer, J., & Hacker, T. (2010). Work in progress - integration of the scientific workflow paradigm into high performance computing and large scale data management curricula. Proceedings of the 40th ASEE/IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference
- Gough, E., Riley, C., Buck, C., Roumani, A., Regnier, F., & Springer, J. (March 2010). Integrating biospecimen collection, clinical information and proteomics for cancer biomarker research. Third Annual Biospecimen Research Network (BRN) Symposium Program Book (pp.18-19).
- Shiroor, A., Springer, J., Hacker, T., Marshall, B., & Brewer, J. (2010). Scientific workflow management systems and workflow patterns. International Journal of Business Process Integration and Management, 5, 63-78.
- McKenzie-Veal, D., Hartmann, N.W., & Springer, J.A. (October 2010). Implementing ontology-based information sharing in PLM. American Society for Engineering Education Engineering Design Graphics Division 65th Mid Year Conference (EDGD).
- Lutes, K., Springer, J., & Howard, K. (June 2009). A survey of embedded database technology for mobile applications. (Paper presented at 2009 American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) Annual Conference & Exposition, Austin, TX..)
- Kane, M.D., Springer, J.A., Iannotti, N.V., & Sprague, J.E. (March 2009). PGRx: an interactive software system for integrating clinical genotyping with prescription drug safety assurance. (Poster presented at 2009 Microsoft External Research Symposium, Redmond, WA.)
- Springer, J. A., & Chen, J. Y. (2009). Toward ontology-driven omics data integration in current database management systems. Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Network-Based Information Systems (pp.292-297). Los Alamitos, CA: IEEE Computer Society.
- Kane, M., Springer, J., & Sprague, J. (July 2008). Drug safety assurance through clinical genotyping: near-term considerations for a system-wide implementation of personalized medicine . Personalized Medicine, 5(4), 387-397. (doi:10.2217/174105220.127.116.117.)
- Springer, J. A., & Robertson, E. L. (2008). The view-constraint duality in database systems, software engineering, and systems engineering. In R. Meersman, Z. Tari & P. Herrero (Eds.), Proceedings of the OTM Confederated International Workshops and Posters on On the Move to Meaningful Internet Systems: 2008 Workshops: ADI, AWeSoMe, COMBEK, EI2N, IWSSA, MONET, OnToContent + QSI, ORM, PerSys, RDDS, SEMELS, and SWWS (pp.253-262). Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag.
- Springer, J., Iannotti, N., Sprague, J.E., & Kane, M.D. (December 2008). On the design and development of a societal-scale personalized medicine support system. (Poster presented at the 2008 Microsoft eScience Workshop, Indianapolis, IN.)
- Kane, Springer, Iannotti, Gough, Johns, Schlueter, & Sepulveda (2008). Identification of Development and Tissue-Specific Gene Expression in the Fathead Minnow (Pimephales promelas) using Computational and DNA Microarray Methods. Journal of Fish Biology
- Hacker, T.J., Springer, J.A., Schlueter, S.D., & Kane, M.D. (2008). Developing a Curriculum for High Performance Computing and Cyberinfrastructure Education. Industry and Education Collaboration (CIEC) Conference, American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)
- Hacker, T., Springer, J., & Marshall, B. (December 2008). Modern file systems for data centric scientific computation. (Poster presented at the 2008 Microsoft eScience Workshop, Indianapolis, IN.)
- Hacker, T.J. & Springer, J.A. (2008). Meeting the Data Challenge: Curriculum Development for Parallel Data Systems. In Proceedings of the 9th ACM SIGITE Conference on Information Technology Education. New York, NY: ACM.
- Kane, M.D. & Springer, J.A. (2007). Integrating Bioinformatics, Distributed Data Management, and Distributed Computing for Applied Training in High Performance Computing. In Proceedings of the 8th ACM SIGITE Conference on Information Technology Education (pp.33-36). New York, NY: ACM. (DOI=http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1324302.1324311.)
- Forney, P., Hazbun, T., Springer, J. & Kane, M.D. (2007). YDM: a Data Management Tool Supporting Yeast-2-Hybrid Research. 4th Annual Indy Regional Bioinformatics Conference
- Martin, R., Robertson, E., & Springer, J. (2005). Architectural Principles for Enterprise Frameworks: Guidance for Interoperability. In P. Bernus & M. Fox (Eds.), Knowledge Sharing in the Integrated Enterprise: Interoperability Strategies for the Enterprise Architect (pp. 79-91). Boston, MA: Springer Boston
- Martin, R., Robertson, E., & Springer, J. (2004). Architectural Principles for Enterprise Frameworks. In CAiSE 2004 Workshops in connection with The 16th Conference on Advanced Information Systems Engineering (pp. 151-162). Riga, Latvia: Faculty of Computer Science and Information Technology, Riga Technical University
- Springer, J. (2003). An Exploration of Enterprise Architecture Framework Views. In Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems (ICEIS) Doctoral Consortium (DCEIS-2003) (pp. 46-48). Angers, France: ICEIS Press
- 2004-2006 - Bostech Corporation
- 1999 - Infinite Loop Consulting
- 1998 - Eli Lilly and Company
- 1995-1998 - Andersen Consulting
Consultant (Andersen Consulting is now Accenture.)
- ACM Special Interest Group on Management Of Data (SIGMOD)
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- IEEE Computer Society
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
Dr. Springer's discovery efforts focus on High Performance Computing (HPC) applications as well as Cloud-based, large-scale data repositories/environments in Translational Biomedicine and Energy and include research in Human Factors and Information Assurance/Security in large-scale virtual scientific communities and data repositories.