Campus: West Lafayette
Department: Computer and Information Technology
Office: Knoy 231
Phone: (765) 494-3994
- Post-doc (Engineering Education), Engineering Education and Network for Computational Nanotechnology, Purdue West Lafayette, IN, 2010.
- Ph.D. (Engineering Education), College of Engineering, Purdue University West Lafayette, IN, 2009.
- MS (Educational Technology), College of Education, Purdue University West Lafayette, IN, 2007.
- MS (Electronic Commerce), Instituto Tecnologico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey D.F., Mexico City, 2003.
- BS (Information Systems Engineering), Instituto Tecnologico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey D.F., Mexico City, 2000.
- CNIT 280 000 -- Systems Analysis and Design
- CNIT 581 003 -- Discipline-Based Computational Thinking
- CNIT 280 000 -- Systems Analysis and Design
- CNIT 180 000 -- Introduction to Systems Development
Honors and Awards
- 2012 - ASEE-ERM Apprentice Faculty Grant - For having demonstrated impressive credentials in both technical accomplishments and educational goals and achievements with potential for substantial contributions to the field of engineering education research and the Educational Research Methods (ERM) Division of the American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE).
Grant Proposals and Projects
- Michael Falk, Johns Hopkins University (PI) and Alejandra J. Magana, Purdue University (Co-PI) (2011) Research Initiation Grant: Integrating Computation into the Materials Science and Engineering Core
Total award: $150,000.00
Refereed Articles and Conference Papers/Presentations/Abstracts
- Magana, A.J., Brophy, S.P. and Bryan L. (in press). An Integrated Knowledge Framework to Characterize and Scaffold Size and Scale Cognition(FS2C). International Journal of Science Education
- Magana, A.J., Brophy, S.P. and Newby T. (in press). Comparing Novice and Expert Perceptions of Interactive Multimedia Tools for Conveying Conceptions of Size and Scale. Journal of Technology and Teacher Education
- Magana, A.J., Brophy, S.P. and Bodner, G.M. (in press). Engineering and Science Students' Perceptions of nanoHUB.org Simulation Tools.International Journal of Engineering Education
- Magana, A.J., Brophy, S.P. and Bodner, G.M. (in press). Student Views of Engineering Professors Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge for Integrating Computational Simulation Tools in Nanoscale Science and Engineering. International Journal of Engineering Education
- Brophy, S. Magana, A.J. and Strachan, A. (in press). Lectures and Simulation Laboratories to Improve Learners Conceptual Understanding.Advances in Engineering Education
- Magana, A.J., Brophy, S.P. and Bodner, G.M. (2012). Instructors Intended Learning Outcomes for Using Computational Simulations as Learning Tools . Journal of Engineering Education, 101(2), 220-243.
- Magana, A.J., and Mathur, J. (2012). Motivation, Awareness and Perceptions of Computational Science . Computing in Science and Engineering (CiSE). IEEE Computer Society, 14(1), 74-79.
- Yang, D., Streveler, R.A., Miller, R.L., Slotta, J.D., Matusovich, H.M., & Magana, A. J. (2012). Using computer-based online learning modules to promote conceptual change: Helping students understand difficult concepts in thermal and transport science . International Journal of Engineering Education, 28(3), 686-700.
- Marepalli, P., Magana, A.J., Taleyarkhan, M., Sambamurthy, N. and Clark, J. (2011). SugarAid 0.2: An Online Learning Tool for Improving Engineering Exam Scores . Journal of Online Engineering Education, 2(1), 1-9.
- Malik, Q.H., Perova, N. Hacker, T.J. Streveler, R.A. Magana, A.J., Vgot, P.L. and Bessenbacher, A.M. (2011). Creating a Virtual Community with HUB Architecture: CLEERhub as a Case Study of User Adoption . Knowledge Management and E-Learning: An International Journal, 3(4), 665-681.
- Alejandra J. Magana, Ruth Streveler, Karl Smith, Rocio Chavela (2012, February). Content, Assessment, and Pedagogy: An Integrated Methodology for Curricular Design.. Workshop offered in Spanish, Medellin, Colombia.
- Alejandra J. Magana, Ruth Streveler and Karl Smith (2012, February). Fundamentals of Educational Research for Engineering. Workshop offered in Spanish, Medellin, Colombia.
- Adams G., Madhavan, K. Brophy S., Magana, A.J. (2009, November). NCN Simulation-based Learning Workshop. Chicago, IL.
- Research Group Page
- Scientific computing-as-leverage to conceptual understanding of complex problems in science and engineering
- Cyberinfrastructure affordances for learning and engagement including pedagogical methods and assessment mechanisms in science and engineering
- Investigate the role of computational tools, visualization tools and haptic devices as cognitive tools to leverage the understanding of scientific representations
- Integrating computational, scientific, and engineering thinking into K-12 education
Hobbies, Outside Interests, and Personal Links