Victor M Barlow
Campus: West Lafayette
Department: Computer and Information Technology
Office: Knoy 219
Vic Barlow is an Assistant Professor of Computer and Information Technology (CIT). Professor Barlow's primary teaching and scholarship interests include information systems analysis and design, computer-aided software engineering (CASE), the unified modeling language (UML), web development, and personal and work-group application software.
Prior to coming to Purdue University, Professor Barlow spent two years teaching information systems concepts at Western Carolina University. Professor Barlow also taught at St. Petersburg College. He has several years of industrial programming and systems experience with Qantel/American Business Systems (in the area of client accounting systems) and Clearwater Newspapers (in the area of newsprint inventory). Professor Barlow holds a Certificate in Data Processing (CDP).
- M.B.A. - Western Carolina University Cullowhee, NC, 1982.
- B.S.B.A. (Information Systems), Western Carolina University Cullowhee, NC, 1980.
- A.S.C.S. (Computer Science), St. Petersburg Junior College Clearwater, FL, 1977.
- A.A. - St. Petersburg Junior College Clearwater, FL, 1977.
- A. & S. - Dunedin High School Dunedin, FL, 1975.
- CNIT 18000 -- Introduction to Systems Design
- CNIT 38000 -- Advanced Systems Analysis and Design
- CNIT 13600 -- Introduction to Computer Technology & Applications
- CNIT 14100 -- Internet Foundations, Technologies, and Development
- CNIT 23500 -- Management Information Systems and Collaborative Technology
- CNIT 28000 -- Systems Analysis and Desgn Methods
Honors and Awards
- 1992 - Best Teacher Award, Department of Computer Technology
- 1990 - Best Teacher Award, Department of Computer Technology
- 1987 - Best Teacher Award, Department of Computer Technology
Textbooks and Editorships of Journals/Proceedings
- Whitten, Jeffrey L., Bentley, Lonnie D., and Barlow, Victor M., (1994) Instructor’s Guide to Accompany Systems Analysis and Design Methods, 3rd edition Richard D. Irwin, Times Mirror Higher Education Group, Inc. (ISBN 0-256-09362-8)
- Whitten, Jeffrey L., Bentley, Lonnie D., and Barlow, Victor M., (1994) Projects and Cases to Accompany Systems Analysis and Design Methods, 3rd edition Richard D. Irwin, Times Mirror Higher Education Group, Inc. (ISBN 0-256-09361-X)
- Whitten, Jeffrey L., and Bentley, Lonnie D., and Barlow, Victor M., (1994) Systems Analysis and Design Methods, 3rd edition Richard D. Irwin Publishing. (ISBN 0-256-09360-1)
- Whitten, Jeffrey L., Bentley, Lonnie D., and Barlow, Victor M., (1989) Instructor’s Guide to Accompany Systems Analysis and Design Methods, 2nd edition Richard D. Irwin, Times Mirror Higher Education Group, Inc.
- Whitten, Jeffrey L., Bentley, Lonnie D., and Barlow, Victor M., (1989) Projects and Cases to Accompany Systems Analysis and Design Methods, 2nd edition Richard D. Irwin, Times Mirror Higher Education Group, Inc.
- Whitten, Jeffrey L., and Bentley, Lonnie D., and Barlow, Victor M., (1989) Systems Analysis and Design Methods, 2nd edition Richard D. Irwin, Times Mirror Higher Education Group, Inc.
Refereed Articles and Conference Papers/Presentations/Abstracts
- Barlow, Victor M. (January 2004). Computer Certification: Useful Curriculum Benchmark or Unnecessary Swindle?. Ronald Clute, The 2004 College Teaching and Learning Conference Orlando, FL: Western Academic Press.
- Barlow, Victor M. (October 2003). The Role of Personal Factors in Job Selection Among High-Tech College Graduates. Ronald Clute, The 2003 International Business & Economics Research Conference (IBER) Las Vegas, NV: Western Academic Press.
- Barlow, Victor M., Homkes, Rick, Payne, Michael J. (March 1999). Assessment in the Classroom. ASEE IL/IN Sectional Conference Dekalb, IL: Northern Illinois University.
- Barlow, Victor M. (April 1996). WWW Page Development and HTML as a Teaching Tool. Midwest Computer Conference Chicago, IL: University of Chicago.
- Barlow, Victor M. (May 1995). Creating World Wide Web Pages Using Microsoft Word. International Information Management Association Charlotte, NC: University of North Carolina - Charlotte.
- Barlow, Victor M. (2011, October). UML Modeling Tools and Techniques. As part of the TECSUP study abroad program held at Purdue University, designed and delivered a two-day, four hour, mini-course on UML Modeling Tools and Techniques, containing both lecture and laboratory elements. This mini-course, a condensation and adaptation of CNIT 180 and CNIT 280, was delivered to TECSUP students and faculty and Purdue CIT students., West Lafayette, IN.
- Barlow, Victor M. (1992, April). Creating and Validating Process Models Using Excelerator. Information Systems Education Conference (ISECON), Chicago, IL.
- Khan, Mohammed, (1987) Beginning Structured COBOL Merrill Publishing Company.
- Fowler, George, (1986) COBOL Programming: A Problem Oriented Approach Boyd & Fraser Publishing Company.
- 2010-2012 - Purdue University
Co-director of Study Abroad Program (Planned, organized, coordinated, directed, and supervised a collaborative study abroad program between the CIT department and TECSUP held at Purdue University. The program contained eight mini-courses, taught by both Purdue and TECSUP faculty and taken by both Purdue and TECSUP students.)
- 2009-2012 - TECSUP in Lima, Peru
Co-director of Study Abroad Program (Planned, organized, coordinated, directed, and supervised a collaborative study abroad program between the CIT department and TECSUP in Lima, Peru. CIT students spend eight days in an academically intensive classroom and laboratory course, taught by both CIT faculty and TECSUP faculty. The students work in teams with Peruvian students at TECSUP studying advanced topics in IP Telephony using Asterisk. The academic course is followed by a three-day cultural activity.)
- 2005-2012 - Purdue University
CIT Learning Community Instructor (For the second time, nominated by the students in my Learning Community for an award as the Outstanding Learning Community Instructor. This award is given to only one Learning Community Instructor per academic year.)
- 1980 - 1981 - Clearwater Newspapers Inc.
- 1978 - 1979 - Qantel / American Business Systems
- Consultant, Dynamic Systems Solutions Group, Lafayette, IN, 2000
Involved in major, international web development project to provide web-based wellness courses via the web. Researched web course standards and courseware development platforms.
- Instructor, Dynamic Systems Solutions Group, Lafayette, IN, 1999
Taught web development course and Microsoft Office applications courses (WORD, EXCEL, Exchange) to clients.
- Instructor, Administrative Data Processing Center - Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, 1998-1991
Taught numerous seminars, basic and advanced, on the use of Excelerator to analyze, design, and document information systems to systems analysts and design engineers.
- Programmer, Catalyst, Inc., Lafayette, IN, 1992
Developed and implemented sales contact tracking, order entry, and customer billing systems for a medical supply company.
- Programmer / Analyst, Tippecanoe County, IN, 1992
Spent the summer working part-time as a programmer/analyst making modifications and enhancements to the voter registration system.
- Instructor, First Card, Elgin, IL, 1991
Taught a three-day course on the use of structured techniques for the development of information systems.
- Programmer / Analyst, Christopher M. Funk & Company, Lafayette, IN, 1991
Spent the summer designing a data model that was used to implement a new commodities futures trading system.
- Instructor, Central Telephone (CENTEL), Rosemont, IL, 1989-1990
Taught a three-day seminar on the use of Excelerator to analyze, design, and document information systems to systems analysts.
- Programmer, Home Hospital. Lafayette, IN, 1989
Worked during the summer as a programmer converting a batch medical and dental records system into a pseudo-conversational CICS on-line system.
- Association for Information Systems (AIS), 1998-present
- Data Processing Management Association, 1984-1990
- Certificate in Data Processing (CDP)
- Microsoft Office User Specialist (MOUS) - Expert certifications in WORD, EXCEL, ACCESS & PowerPoint
- Unified Modeling Language - Object Oriented Analysis & Design
- Computer-Aided Software Engineering (CASE) Tools
- Web Development
Hobbies, Outside Interests, and Personal Links
- I enjoy Purdue men's basketball and football.
- I like almost all outdoor activities, especially hiking at Turkey Run state park, camping, and extended backpacking on the Applachian Trail (AT) and Pacific Crest Trail (PCT).
- I am an active member of Federated Church, a Purdue Tomahawk honorary, enjoy shooting trap and skeet with the Purdue University Trap and Skeet Club, and playing chess with the Purdue Chess Club.
- I am a "born-again rocketeer" (BAR) having certified Level 3 in the Tripoli Rocketry Association (TRA). I am the Prefect for Indiana Rocketry, Inc. (TRA Prefecture #132) and an L3CC for the National Association of Rocketry (NAR). My personal bests are 24,932 feet and Mach 1.86.
- My daughter, Sarah Barlow, is a 2008 graduate of Indiana Business College with an Associates Degree in Office Administration and currently works for First Steps in Lafayette.
- My oldest son, Kevin Barlow, is a senior majoring in Computer Science, Mathematics and minoring in Management at Purdue University.
- My youngest son, Eric Barlow, is a freshman majoring in MFET at Purdue University.
- My wife, Sue, is the retail store manager of Citi Trends in Lafayette.