Technology Leadership and Innovation Directory
Edie K Schmidt
Professor and Associate Dean for Research
Campus: West Lafayette
Department: Technology Leadership & Innovation
Department: Industrial Technology
Office: YOUNG 428
Department of Industrial Technology, Purdue University, Knoy Hall
155 S. Grant St.
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2021
- Ph.D. - Purdue University, 1996
Dissertation: Capacity Reservation in a Cyclic Planning Environment
- M.B.A. - University of Southern California, 1987
Major: Decision Systems
- B.S. - Arizona State University, 1982
Teaching and Research Interests
- IT 332 Purchasing, Inventory and Warehouse Management
- IT 434 Global Transportation and Logistics Management
- IT 442 Production Planning
- IT 450 Production Cost Analysis
- IT 104 Industrial Organization
- Project Management
- Global Supply Chain Management
- Analysis of Research in Industry and Technology
Her teaching and research interests are in the areas of inventory management, distribution, logistics, and supply chain management. She has developed and taught undergraduate and graduate-level courses and has supervised graduate student projects, in these areas at the master’s level. Dr. Schmidt has worked with many Indiana companies to develop a Logistics training course, revise warehouse layouts, revise facility layouts, and other projects in the Logistics area.Professional Experience
- Professor, Department of Technology Leadership and Innovation (new name), Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN. 2010 - present
- Associate Professor, Department of Industrial Technology, Purdue University, West Lafayette IN, 2004 – 2010
- Assistant Professor, Department of Industrial Technology, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN. Aug 1999 – 2004.
- Assistant Professor and Department Head, Saint Joseph's College, Rensselaer,Indiana. January 1996 - August 1999.
- Lecturer, Department of Organizational Leadership and Supervision, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN. January 1997 - August 1999.
- Graduate Instructor, School of Management, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN. August 1991 - May 1995
- Manufacturing Systems Consultant, Ernst & Young, Irvine, California. January 1988 - August 1990.
- Senior Applications Analyst, Northrop Electronics Division and Lockheed California Company, Hawthorne, California. January 1983 - December 1987.
- Schmidt, E., Khiewnavasongsa, S. & Newton, K. (2010). Assessing Distance Readiness in Adult Learners: Comparison of Non-traditional Undergraduates to Part-time Graduate Students, Proceedings of the 2010 International Conference on Education, Honolulu, HI.
- Davis, G.J., Schmidt, E. (2009). Benchmarking third-party logisticsorganizations: Methods of benchmarking when information is not easily available. Proceedings of the 2009 Conference of Industrial Education Collaboration (CIEC), Austin, TX. (Graduate student primary author)
- Davis, G.J., Schmidt, E. (2009). Comparing the total cost of goods from traditional distributors to total costs under vendor management. Proceedings of the 2009 Conference of Industrial Education Collaboration (CIEC), Austin, TX. (Graduate student primary author
- Khiewnavawongsa, S. & Schmidt, )E. (2009). “Assessment of the Mentoring Relationship between the Faculty and Graduate Students at Purdue University.” Proceedings of the 2009 Conference of Industrial Education Collaboration (CIEC), Austin, TX. (Graduate student primary author)
- Yu, C., Schmidt, E., & Newton, K. (2007). RFID Application - What Industrial Distribution Studenst Are Learning About Applying RFID Technology. Review of the ELectronic and Industrial Distribution Industries, 6(2), 104-119.
- Khiewnavawongsa, S., Leong, R. & Schmidt, E. (2006, June). Learning a Web-Based Course Through Macromedia Breeze, Proceedings of the ASEE.
- Newton, K. A., Khiewnavawongsa, S., Schmidt, E. K., and Nashine, R. (2006). Measuring customer perceptions: A collaborative project conducted by students for a midwest trucking company. Proceedings of the ASEE.
- Khiewnavawongsa, S., Newton, K. A,. and Schmidt, E. K. (2006). Curriculum development in industrial distribution. Proceedings of the ASEE.
- Rogoski, K., Schmidt, E., Newton, K., & Homan, S. (2006) Improving the Product Introduction Processes of Mid-Capital Projects. Review of the Electronic and Industrial Distribution Industries, 5(1), 65-90.
- Lewis, M., Schmidt, E., & Newton, K. (2005) Distributor Process Improvements: Using 6-Sigma. Review of the Electronic and Industrial Distribution Industries, 4(1), 77-96.
- Schmidt, E., Robertson, B. & Newton, K. (2004) The Lean Principles Necessary for Competitive Advantage. Review of the Electronic and Industrial Distribution Industries, 3(1), 72-84.
- Schmidt, E., Newton, K., & Robertson, B. (2003) Project Plan for Improving Inventory and Warehouse Management Using Five-S JIT Strategy. Review of the Electronic and Industrial Distribution Industries, 2(2), 32-46.
- Schmidt, E., Newton, K., & Mancuso, M. (2003). Inventory consolidation: Setting initial stocking levels. Review of the Electronic and Industrial Distribution Industries, 2(1), 28-44.
- Newton, K., and Schmidt, E. (2004). Learning and growing: Integrating technology undergraduates into the development of an industrial case study. Journal of Technology Studies , 30(2), 66-70.
- Schmidt, E., Ward, J., Dada, M., & Adams, D. (2001). Using cyclic planning to manage capacity at ALCOA. Interfaces, 31(3), 16-27.
- Schmidt, E., & Gallegos, A. (May 2001). Distance learning: Issues and concerns of distance learners. Journal of Industrial Technology, 17(2).
- Gallegos, A., Schmidt, E., & Newton, K. (2002, January). Using a graduate student directed project to address changing e-commerce curriculum needs in supply chain management, CD-ROM. Proceedings of the Conference for Industry Education and Collaboration (CIEC) 2002 Conference, Sarasota, FL.
- Schmidt, E. (2000, November). The impact of a simulated factory experience on student learning in an introductory manufacturing management course. Proceedings of the Decision Sciences Institute Annual National Conference, 250-252.
- Schmidt, E., & Robertson, B. (2003, November). Just in Time Manufacturing: Past & Present. Proceedings of the National Association of Industrial Technology, 151-159.
- Newton, K., and Schmidt, E. (2003, February). A successful partnership between an industrial trade association and education at Purdue University, CD-ROM. Electronic Proceedings of the Conference for Industry Education and Collaboration (CIEC) 2003 Conference, Tucson, AZ.
Chapter in a textbook
Stephens, M.P. (2004). Productivity and reliability-based maintenance management. ISBN 0-13-096657-6. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.Wrote complete chapter (Facility Maintenance Project Planning and Control), with graphs, charts, tables, and exercises on maintenance project management on the topics of successful project management, project manager roles and responsibilities, maintenance operations analysis, and project management tools and techniques, including PERT/CPM network methods (pp. 225-274).